Monday, December 29, 2008

"Wave Bye Bye"


The last time my sister (right) & I lived together.

My sister moved out on Saturday. She drove away at 1:00 p.m., leaving my husband and I standing in the driveway holding our children and waving goodbye. My head was turned helping my daughter say "bye bye", so my sister couldn't see my tears. She left for Eastern Washington where the excitement of school and a new life awaits her.

She had stayed with us since September, helping us with childcare in exchange for room and board. I know she was ready to move to her own place and we were ready to have the house again to ourselves, but I was surprised by how sad I felt when moving day arrived. No more warnings of the baby hazards that lurk in our house, no more of the constant "thank you's" for dinner, for coffee, (for everything it seemed!), no more sharing TiVO space with her TV shows, and no more of the easy and sometimes profound conversations that arise in day to day life...the kind you don't get when someone is just visiting. No more of anybody saying "T, I want you to know that your blog is very important to me." I had to laugh when she said that, I had only asked if she had read it!


Best of luck to you E on your new adventure, and you are hereby relieved of your sisterly blog-reading duties!

No comments: