Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Blissfully Boring Plane Ride

Yesterday, the kids took their first airplane ride. We flew to the San Juan Islands to visit my aunt & uncle on a five passenger plane from our local airport. An 8 minute drive to the airport and a fly time of 25 minutes sure beats the hours spent driving and ferry waiting that is typical of travel to the Islands. We left at 9:00 a.m. and were home by 4:00 p.m., with none of the usual weariness after a day of schlepping it by car and ferry.

We were lucky there was no turbulence, and we slipped in right before a serious wind storm...otherwise, this might have been a much more interesting post. Of course, I was nervous taking our babies in such a small plane...but I kept telling myself that planes are safer than cars. When the pilot pointed out the door handle poking into my side and told me to keep my daughter away from it, all I could see was that door opening and....well, I just held on tight to my little girl. Happily it was an uneventful, pleasant flight and the bird's eye view of your hometown gives you such a different perspective. I had no idea just how many rusted out car collections exist in this county!

And it's New Year's Eve! Exciting parties, thoughtful resolutions? Stay tuned.



The kids had a great time being carted around by their 12 year old cousins (also twins) all day.

No comments: