Thursday, April 9, 2009

Flowers, Sunshine & Good Guacamole

The obilgatory sunset shot in Ventura

Pretty cool, huh! The Kiss Gazania


Right: My compadres, Carrie, Shirley & Nancy


Left: Alan standing in front of Carrie


A beautiful display in Gilroy.





Just messing around in Somis.




I'm throwing all caution to the wind and posting on my blog while my sick children nap. In spite of all the shoulds guilt-tripping me...cleaning, laundry, etc... I thought I would post a little something about my trip instead of whining about everything. Southern California was everything it should be...sunshine, ocean vistas and fashionable skinny people. (I've been in my funky small town for so long now, if it's not fleecy and not made by Carhartt, it's fashionable!)
We viewed flower after flower, caught up with business contacts (many of whom I hadn't seen for almost 2 years due to maternity leave) made too many U-turns and enjoyed awesome Mexican food. I hadn't realized how pale I was until I saw my arms poking out from my black shirt in the San Diego sun. (Aha moment-I need to shed all this Pac NW black garb for some other colors.)
A great moment was when I introduced our new salesperson, Carrie, to perennial plant icon, Alan Armitage. I got to know him about ten years ago when he did some work for our company. He's a bit of a celebrity in the plant world, has a gardening show, and is responsible for introducing dozens of plant varieties to the global market. Carrie was gushing when she met him, saying what an honor it was, etc... and he replied "oh, I'm just a big goober".
The trip was too short, and yet it was long. I missed the babies. Especially when I could hear them in the background during nightly phone calls. On my last night, I resorted to watching videos of them on my digital camera in the hotel room before bed. I got home super late...2:00 a.m. and had to get up early, since 16 month olds never sleep in (no matter how late they go to bed!). Ahhh, but that's the life of motherhood and I'm grateful for it.

1 comment:

mauilulu said...

It's great to see your photo with your beautiful smiling face. Sounds like you had a great time. Even here in Hawaii, I still wear black. It makes me feel like I'm in the big city 'cause even though we have the great beaches here, I love the city.