Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Choices


Hmmm, should I wash the dishes, or have a bowl of ice cream? It's not a ton of dishes, and I will do them in the morning...Down guilt, down! Ok, that's much better, now where was I? Wow, crushed Oreo's are really good on vanilla ice cream! Sorry, I'm getting distracted.

I enjoyed dinner last Friday with three friends from high school, it's so nice to NOT be the oldest person at the table! We've done this once or twice a year for the past five years or so and I've noticed how our conversations have evolved. We spend about 5 minutes reminiscing about high school, and now words like 'menopause', 'liposuction', 'botox' & 'spanx' are thrown in between sips of wine and bites of salad & fish. Interspersed with debates on the merits of Facebook, and whose friend requests we're ignoring. We're all at different stages in our life...two of us have grown children, one has just become a grandma, one has a five year old adopted child, and there's me, toddler twin mom. Maybe this is a sign of the times, but I can't help but think that fifty years ago, we would not have had the freedom in our lives to be at such different places. It's great to be in a place where we have so many choices.

2 comments:

GaryinAlaska said...

i'm with you Tonya, guilt not, but we all gotta get that glucose down. and ice cream screams to us, sadly. how goes your summer? we just returned from 2 weeks in michigan/wisconsin seeing Susan's family.

fortymama said...

Busy, busy! But don't I always say that? I've been thinking about you two and what you've been up to. I'm still trying to find you on Facebook, maybe I'll try GaryinAlaska just one word like your gmail.